
My kids have always liked to skateboard. JM had his first skateboard at age four. I don't discourage it. It's something he can do without having to sign up and go to a practice three times a week. When the kids want to do it, they just go whizzing up and down our street whenever they want.As JM has gotten older this last year, I can see he is really starting to work on doing the tricks he sees others doing. He is interested in meeting people who are skateboard dudes. That began to worry me just a bit. He's only seven, and that can be a little bit of a seedy world.
No more! I have known about this ministry since forever, but didn't know they had a Pee Wee session. It's every Wednesday night from 6:30-8:30 pm. Bring your helmet, board, scooter, heelies, whatever on wheels. Parents need to come and sign the consent form in front of staff (no rogue skaters out there forging forms!) the first time. Click here for their website. They have the forms there, so if you want to print them, fill everything else in, then come and sign them in front of staff, that is the fastest way to do it. After that, they issue an ID card for everyone. Why? That is the world of liability we live in. As a parent, I feel pretty good they are keeping track of who is coming and going, making sure parents are consenting to kids being there, and also medical consent forms. They are not just a bunch of skater dudes skating with their friends.
Skate Church has been around our area since I have moved here. I was a student at the Bible college right next door to Skate Church. My husband now teaches at that college. We have always been on the periphery of this church, and heard of the cool things that are happening there. Many of my classmates when I was a student did Skate Church for their ministry, and I just kind of blew it off. Well, after watching the video they have on their website, hearing the statistics on the popularity of skateboarding, the kids who are coming to know Jesus Christ as their Savior, etc. I am going to say it first--I blew it off and I shouldn't have. God is working in Skate Church, and I am impressed. I should have been impressed 10+ years ago. Please take a moment to watch the video on their website.
A student who had seen our JM skating around campus told my hubbie about the Pee Wee (under fifth grade) session on Wednesday nights. JM is hooked. It's an hour of boarding, a Bible study, and then more boarding. What did JM talk about the most when he came home the first night? Bible study. Very cool! Plus, he gets to hear Bible study from the cool dudes he looks up to so much, and I trust them inherently.
These are students at the college doing Skate Church for their student ministry. They are not just strangers off the street who are hanging out. This ministry is directed to that underworld of skaters who just kind of are on the periphery of organized churches. I am so amazed at what God is doing through this little ministry. This is an organized ministry with definite goals and plans.
I am just so pleased that JM has a place where he can do skateboarding, learn those stunts he's been dying to learn, and yet not have to worry about influences. I am so glad he is also seeing the need to talk to others about Christ, bring his friends to Skate Church, etc.
No comments:
Post a Comment