Jun 4, 2008

Junior Parade

Our city has Rose Festival time. There are tons of events all over the city you can attend. Yesterday we went to the Junior Starlight Parade. It is a parade of just kids, mostly middle school aged and younger. It is totally fun. It is fun to take the kids, it is fun to watch them enjoy it, it is a blast to watch the kids in the parade who have worked hard to be in the parade. And here are the highlights.

The below video is why my husband is no longer allowed to be the one to go with the kids to buy trinkets. The ladies on the other side of JM eventually left. I am not sure if it's because of us, but I am sure we made the decision to leave easier.

Also as I watch this video and I look at a few other things I took yesterday. The thought is dawning on me. My camera is starting to go caput. Sigh.......


Here are the highlights:


I have to say a few things that always impress me with this parade.

Schools with marching bands at junior high level. That is quite an accomplishment for a school these days to have a music program let alone a marching band program. My hubbie and I made note, none of those schools were our school district except one. Many of the schools represented were upper crust schools where funding is a non issue.

I was also impressed to see Greg Oden, the Portland Trailblazers star (kind of). Usually in this parade, we have a player who no one recognizes. You have to know some history here. Last year, Portland got the luck of the draw and got the first round draft pick in the draft. Who would they pick? It was between Greg and another hot shot in college. Months went by, who would they pick? They picked Greg. As soon as he showed up to town, he needed season ending knee surgery. Luck of the draw huh?

Also, look at him closely, he is only like 20 years old. He's a youngster! But he looks like he is my age.

Additionally, to one of my blogger friends, Kristina. We walked by one our our city's latest and greatest brew pubs. Laurelwood Brew Pub. They make their own beer on site, and serve some great pub grub. I think we might make that an attraction to see when you come to visit.

Anyway, we had fun. Wore the kids out. Went home and threw some meat on the grill. I also made one of my favorite salads for summer. Click here for the recipe. Yummy!

3 comments:

Tracy said...

Looks like fun. if you bring your earplugs along... :o)

Child of God said...

OH yes, we have those lovely trumpets, too. I told the girls the horns are "outside toys" and if they find their way into the house, they're MINE (which means I will throw them away). It's worked so far.

kristina said...

I have no speakers on this computer (I am at my folk's house). Maybe that is a good thing? It must be hard to choose a school for your kids. I wouldn't know where to start. The parade looks like fun. It is nice to see kids getting involved. I can't wait to try any brew pub out there. I haven't found a bad beer from OR. Not that I am looking:) I haven't had any beer in a while.