Mar 29, 2008

Oddest Book Title Award Goes to.......drum roll PLEASE!

Seriously, I love this. I didn't know there was an annual award for the oddest book title. But this year's recipient resonates with me.

I am an almost 40 year old woman. I have seen a lot of things in my lifetime. I have seen a lot of my friends over the years make a lot of mistakes in relationships. Before I was married, I made a lot of mistakes in relationships.

This afternoon--great example. I am at a candle party. The hostess's 20 year old daughter is there an talking to her friends about how she is two months pregnant, and her unemployed, high school dropout boyfriend is freaking out. These are not poor people, we are in a very very nice home and her parents do very well. Why she chose him to be her boyfriend, I don't know. He has pressured her to have an abortion. What is so interesting, no one ever said the word abortion. She said things like, "He wants me to, well, you know. He's not ready." Currently, they are not speaking. I am sure he is wondering what kind of child support he will be paying and he is 20 years old.

In my lifetime, the family story I saw this afternoon has been played over and over again. In my mind, I am listening, not saying a thing because it's not my place, but the title to this year's recipient of the Oddest Book Title is screaming in my ears.

The award goes to "If You Want Closure in Your Relationships, Start With Your Legs" written by the pseudonymous author Big Boom. Click here for the headline.

The title says it all.

No comments: