Here is our organist for the afternoon. Nope--no pop 80's disco tech stuff. It was several renditions of "Edelweiss" and several other traditional song. I also heard "These Are a Few of My Favorite Things." Watch the videos below, and you will hear the same music over and over again. I am sure this is why I have a yen to watch "Sound of Music" today.
This video is our pastor's second oldest son. I have to set this up for you. At the beginning of our day, I put his skates on for him, and he was so impatient to go. He has never skated before. So, before I let him stand up, I warned him, it will feel slippery and he might fall, so be careful, etc. He just stood up and went out on the floor, landed on his behind an awful lot, took some advice from a few of us who spent a lot of the 80's at skating rinks, etc. By the end of the afternoon, check him out! He was so determined and such a trooper!
We had kids from all ranges. Some put on skates, then sat down and wouldn't budge. We took those kids to a practice area that basically has a set of parallel bars that you could hold onto with both hands. We also didn't let them give up--they needed to at least try. Several of us parents are firm believers that you learn skating by falling down a lot. That is how we did it as kids!
By the end of the afternoon, we were ready for cake and ice cream, then a bit more skating, and then home. I popped some Advil before bed, slept well, and dreamed of the Von Trapp family singers.
8 comments:
Fun! Last October we went to a bday party there, and Madeline fell a lot too, spent lots of time in the practice area etc. By the end she was brave enough to let Bobby tow her around in the big rink! We got her some "real" skates for Christmas and now she's an expert! Skating is so much fun! It is truly something that people of all ages can enjoy together! And it's safe and wholesome!
Glad to hear you had fun!
:-)
angela
What fun! Happy Birthday JM, you are such a gift of love and hope to your parents! You look good on those roller skates!
AM, I love to roller skate...I wish I could have come for the party! I grew up skating around the sidewalks in our apt complex, and down the street, etc. Oh, I would probably fall on my face a hundred times now, though, since it's been ages since I skated. :)
I was surprised how much my 80's skating came back, and how much didn't. It was fun for sure and we'll do it again. I definitely grew up skating on the sidewalks of my neighborhood too. Helmets? Schmelmets! What is so cool?? Plain ol' skates are cheap! Target--$15.00.
I just laugh when I watch the video of our pastor's son. He is SO close to biffing it while I am talking to him, then I tell him not to look at me, then he looks at me. He never fell, but I stopped videoing because I was afraid of a crash.
Plus, my teenage squeaky voice just bugs me right now. I was getting my voice back pretty good until yesterday when I spent the afternoon yelling over organ music.
ps...forgot to say that when we were there in Oct, I spyed a cockroach in the snack area! Not surprising though! It's all part of the fun!
have a happy day!
angela
You know, it doesn't surprise me. That building is SO old, and there is so much cotton candy flying around the place.
If I were a huge germaphobe, I'd be more worried about all the germs imbedded in the padding around the rink that every little hand not just touches, but runs their hands over, than the kitchen area.
What fun! I'm so glad that JM was well enough to enjoy his party. And good for him on skating! My kids have never been roller skating (not even A and he is 11!)...guess I should get them out to do it. I am a bit of a germaphobe though...you know...all things considered.
Everyone looks like they had a wonderful time. Glad to hear you are on the mend :)
I LOVE my children's birthdays...it is so fun celebrating what a gift of God they are. It shows all over your face when you talk about JM and BH what blessings they are to you and your husband. God gives us so much hope when He brings children in to our lives :)
I love Oaks Park. I used to go there all the time as a child. I even had one of my birthday parties there as well. Brings back a lot of fun memories. I loved going on the hill thing in the back of the rink as well the special stuff they do during sessions. I can't remember what it was called but you form 4 lines and link arms then the people in the front of the line would grab on a ring thing and we would start skating in circles. Just to see how fast and how long you can hang on, that was so much fun. I love the organ, I am 30 and I would rather have the organ over the music. I need to take my kids there someday.
I didn't write on my blog about it, but I did drive up two weeks ago and T and I took her kids there for a Saturday skate. I would wager that 75% of the kids there that day were for B-day parties, because they kept announcing them. We didn't have the organ that day. There must only be certain days.
It looks like you had a great time! It is amazing how quickly kids learn to skate. I must tell you that I did not fall down much when I learned. I distinctly remember being taken around by the hand when I didn't know how to skate. I remember the moment it dawned on me that I could pick up my feet to make myself move.
Post a Comment