Many of you have asked, how has our first week of Connections Academy gone?
Good! At least I think so, my son might say differently. Here is what I have noticed:
1) JM struggled in math last year. His teacher made that apparent to us. She was also trying out a new curriculum that was definitely more huge ideas, and big picture of math. I got frustrated because JM just needed to learn what three plus two was. She also kept discouraging me from teaching him math facts. "Studies have shown......".
So, as we have sat down and done math, I have noticed that JM just sits and dilly dallies. I had a pretty good idea that would happen. What he did last year was this--sit and dilly dally during math to the point the teacher would just move on and not wait for him. Of course, she has a whole class to move forward, she can't wait while JM plays drums with his pencils. But he got out of math by doing that, and he knew it.
Now, JM is realizing, I am patient. We will spend two hours doing a math sheet. We won't move on until it's done. Mom will take away the pencils so they can't be drummed with.
2) I love love love love love the math curriculum. Connections Academy uses Calvert Math, which is a prestigious homeschool math program. Why do I love it? It is math facts and big ideas of math. It is an integration and JM is getting it, and isn't so frustrated.
3) I have also noticed that JM can do math. He knows his math facts. He knows how to manipulate numbers, I just think the curriculum she was using last year was too weird. I really do.
4) JM loves to read, loves to write things down, loves to do science. We have had some fun moments doing the projects and things assigned in these areas.
5) JM gets PE credit for playing soccer and participating in Skate Church. Nice! He also got credit for our trip last week to Cripple Creek where we learned about miners and prospectors, donkeys and trains. That was very nice!
5) I used to have breaks in my day. No more. If I am not doing school, I am doing my candle business. And there is nothing in the middle. No break.
6) BH started preschool this week, and he loves it. At first he was balking, but now he loves it, and loves his new friends.
7) BH, because it was his first week of school, now has a nasty cough, runny nose and congestion.
The school year has begun!
2 comments:
You've been tagged. Visit my blog.
So glad to hear that it's going well so far. :o)
Post a Comment