Dec 21, 2008

Colorado Weather in the Pacific NW

Mystery solved! When you put a full Pull Up outside,
in 20 degree weather, it will freeze! It is harder that a rock.
Drifting snow in our backyard.

The snow drift you need to walk up to get on the stairs to our back porch.
Snow drifts in the chicken coop.

I have lived in the Pacific Northwest for almost twenty years now. I still get tickled watching the city shut down when there is a slight snow flurry. Honestly, when I was a kid, there were very few times the weather shut school down. Why? Because the guy in the administration who made that decision was from Minnesota. So bad weather in Colorado seemed like nothing to him.

Well, this is weather that might have shut down schools in Colorado. It is blizzard like (not full on blizzard) conditions. Blowing, blustery snow with drifts. I haven't seen a snow drift here, ever.

One thing about Pacific Northwest weather I never saw in Colorado--freezing rain. I remember the first time I saw that, and it scared the jeebers out of me. Why? Because I had just stepped out of my entry level job and needed to drive home in it.

And guess what is happening now, which is typical. We have had our snow. Now there is an ever so slight crust of moisture on top of it. And it freezes. So we are going to have a layer of ice on top on snow probably by the end of the day. Now that is kind of sporting when it comes to even going to get your mail. The world suddenly becomes a skating rink. That happened a few years ago, and honestly, just walking up the street to a mail drop box (because the postal carrier wasn't carrying mail for several days) I was skating on ice, and walking by hanging onto cars and fences so I wouldn't slip on the ice.

We'll keep you posted.

No comments: