Aug 23, 2009

Let's Realize How Smart the Guy Is

I spoke with a friend of mine recently about our illustrious and entertaining mayor, Sam Adams. She is a certified petition collector for his recall campaign. In her dealings with several officials in this grassroots efforts someone told her, "One of Sam Adams best attributes is that is he the smartest guy in the room and knows it. One of his worst attributes is that he is the smartest man in the room."

I haven't met Sam Adams, have no need to, but now I am curious. I would love to sit back and watch him "work" a room.

Anyway, new development, are we surprised? A local county here is Oregon just lost it's sheriff. He was caught with his pants down, literally, with someone not his wife in a vehicle at a popular makeout place. Click here for the details. The sheriff also asked his deputy who found him to be quiet and future growth in the sheriff's department might include this lucky deputy. If I were the deputy, I would still be back at "I just saw my boss's........"

What is becoming glaringly obvious, this sheriff misused his power as a public official by asking a deputy to lie and then offering a job promotion if he did lie. The state's attorney asked this sheriff to resign, and he did.

Okay, Sam Adams, although not guilty of any criminal act, has been found to have lied and covered up his whole fiasco. It is also confirmed that he used his office to offer perks to those who covered it up.

So the poll to the left asks and truly, begs the question. Why? So please take the poll. I am so stinkin' frustrated by our mayor. I truly believe he has slicked so many hands to keep his job, it's completely unnerving how much power he has. And yes, that would be an abuse of power under Oregon law.

2 comments:

Haiden said...

Regarding your survey, what is the definition of "official misconduct"? Those in power tend to make sure interpretation of the law is in their favor. Definitions needs to be set in stone because these days determining truth is "relative" and interpretation is 9 Tenths of the law!

AMG said...

I am using the definition in the article
"Public servants can be found guilty of official misconduct if they abuse the power of their office to either benefit themselves or harm someone else, according to Oregon law." From the state's AG office "You use the fact that you're a public servant in a way that's improper for personal gain," said Tony Green, spokesman for Attorney General John Kroger. "You use your office to obtain a personal benefit."

I agree we all need to use the accepted definitely. I also agree that officials certainly twist words, even my young kids do that when they are caught doing what they shouldn't.

This sheriff did it too. "I was just going over election stuff with her. This is all a misunderstanding."

Neither of these men broke any law. Both of them lied. Both of them offered perks to those who lied to help cover up their indiscretion. How come Sam Adams is still in office and the sheriff isn't? I don't get it.