I have mentioned before that I meet amazing people in my line of work. I just got home from a very fun and festive candle party. I met Tink. That is her nickname, and we'll go with it. She'll read this too, I am sure, so I need to remember that some things that happen at candle parties stay at candle parties.
As we chatted, we realized that we have connections. The main one--I am an adoptive mom, she is a birth mom. She placed a child for adoption a handful of years ago. As she told me her story, her eyes were a little teary and so were mine. But they were tears of goodness and joy. I am always glad to hear when a birth mom says, "That was the best decision. I picked a great family, we have some contact. My life is in a better place now." She is now married to a great guy, has two children, and doing great!
As an adoptive mom, that is water to a dry soul. That is my continued prayer for my kids' birth moms. That this decision to place their child with me is a decision they can live with, have confidence in, and they have new opportunities that would have been missed otherwise. Thank you, Tink, for sharing with me your story, I will sleep well tonight and be reminded to pray for my kid's birthmoms tonight.
Also, another connection with Tink. We're talking about homeschooling and she feels the same way I felt about it. Wants to do it, intimidated by what's involved and all the responsibility of doing it right. I told her about Connections Academy--she is all over it and is excited. She is going to really look into it, and if she does it, we agreed it would be nice to get our kids together for activities. How cool would that be?
She wants to learn to sew. Has a sewing machine. I can help with that just a bit.
I used to work at a crisis pregnancy center, she used to volunteer at one. Her father was in the military, so was mine. It was a crazy fun night to meet her! Anyway, I am exhausted and all keyed up at the same time.
I hope Tink will post here on occasion because as a birth mom in adoption issues, it's nice to hear from that perspective. We don't hear it that often, and I think she has a great story to tell.
No comments:
Post a Comment