Nov 8, 2007

The Yin and Yang of life

Yes, I am a Christian, so as far as truly believing in the whole yin and yang thing, it's more just the irony of life. Here are a few in my life I have noticed lately.

**Warning--towards the end of this post, some audiences may not be able to stomach the icky factor. Not suitable for all readers, especially those who don't have children and have not cleaned up messes that HAZMAT teams should really be cleaning up.**

* When I play bunco with my girlfriends. When I am trying to roll for ones, I get sixes. When I am rolling for sixes, I get ones. When I am rolling for fours, I gets twos. Others in my group think it's a sick cosmic joke to make those who are too competitive absolutely mad by the end of the bunco night.

* Another bunco one. You have just finished a maddening round of ones, and the next round is twos. Your round of ones was so infuriating because you rolled a whopping two ones in the whole five minutes you were playing. Now, playing for twos, you can roll a two to save your life, but you rolled a handful of ones. Sickening.

* In my business, as soon as I make a trip to the post office, I come home to find a message from someone needing me to send catalogues--today if possible.

* In my life, as soon as I decide what to make for dinner. I make a trip to the store for that one ingredient. Because in any recipe you will never have all the ingredients on hand--never. You come home, pull out the recipe, you forgot one more. Silly you for not checking the recipe.

* Here's the one that is most important right now. Last night, I am basking in our new bathroom. My husband and two kids are curled up in bed, all together, just snoring away. It's a perfect night. Then that familiar sound comes. It's the familiar sound of a six year old child wretching.

By the time I reach the scene, child is in the bathroom, and you can follow his trail. At the beginning of the trail is my husband and two year old blinking out of sleep and wearing the beginning of the trail.

My fresh floors! My fresh walls! My freshly cleaned children who got to bath in the new bathroom......all gone. I have been doing laundry constantly today, while taking care of sick kids.

The yin and yang of life.

4 comments:

Angela said...

Ewwwwwwwww!!!
Ok no more bunco for you, and no more sick kids!
Light some candles (lol) preferable the kind that smell REALLY GOOD (toasted hazelnut) and get yourself a bath (after you clean it out of course) haha... I hope your kids get better soon so you can send them off to school and get some YOU time :)

AMG said...

you're so sweet! Yes, some time for me to not be cleaning up or following a kid with a bowl would be nice. Our two year old started tonight doing it as well, so it's running the course through the family. I have a three wick and a jar going right now, so great minds think alike! I am doing some pear and quince along with some strawberry rhubarb. I know those aren't very "fall" but better than the alternative!

Anonymous said...

It's kind of like the first day you wear a new white shirt. Don't you always splatter spaghetti sauce on it? I know I do.

AMG said...

Absoluletely! Others--feel free to add yours! I do the coffee on the new shirt usually, because I am attached to my coffee in an unhealthy manner.