Anyway, as a mom of African American (AA) children, I am always looking out for these things. I have an obligation to my kids to bring their culture to them. I knew that was the case the moment I held them in my arms. It wouldn't be fair to ask them to know everything about white culture just because I am white. It would also cripple them as AA adult living and moving in our world. I also think it has made me a better person in general to think through the eyes of my kids. Plus both of our kids have some biological family history in southern states--in other words, they have a high probability of having slave ancestry. I want/need for them to know their history in a positive, not angry, look to the future, kind of way.
So, this time of year seems to be when all the stops come out and all kinds of great resources are available. I love it! I am always looking for great movies, stories, books, authors, role models, that I can put in front of my kids. I also appreciate that it seems like professional sports are cleaning house. For awhile in our city, the local NBA team had AA team members on the news almost weekly standing before a judge on any kind of charge. I can honestly say, that hasn't happened in a long time at least locally.
So here is what I found I thought I would share with you.
**Connections Academy just listed on their website an exhaustive list of respected authors for kids of all ages, into college years. Also, they are holding "read ins" in different locations nationally. Here is the link for read ins. The reading list is here. I got an invitation email for the read ins just today, and they sound great for kids.
**I am also pretty impressed with the History Channel's list of basic resources. Click here for those.
**I just found this incredibly exhaustive website for teachers (or homeschool moms, take your pick) that has a lot of printables. I am impressed by the music, games, coloring sheets, history, books, etc that are listed. This site alone will keep me busy for awhile. Click here.
**Also, there are books on my sidebar that I want to highlight. "Cry the Beloved Country" is a must for any teenager or above. It has some pretty intense moments that make it PG-13. It is a fictional story based in South Africa. It has an absolutely wonderful story of redemption in the end. It also highlights the tragic history of South Africa that we are still living today.

**Another book I recommend that isn't on the sidebar, although the illustration to the left is from this book. "Twelve Years a Slave" by Solomon Northrup. It is the true slave narrative of Solomon as told by him, and he is amazingly eloquent. Click here for a very brief summary of the story. He was a free man living in New York state. He was kidnapped, beaten and sold into slavery in Louisiana, one of the worst states in terms of slave abuse. It is an absolute miracle he was rescued. When you read the part where his family comes to the farm he is working at, and he recognizes them as his rescuers, his heart wrenching drop to his knees, raising his arms to Jesus in pure joy and thanks. It is a miracle. It is a true story, and I totally recommend it to everyone. It has some intense spots, so maybe 8-10 years or older would be appropriate for reading.
One sad thing about Solomon. He only lived a few years after being rescued. Being a slave took a toll on him physically, and he speaks to that. What I think is a shame, he died the same year that Abraham Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation, freeing all slaves. I am sure Solomon would have tried to contact those that were left behind when he was rescued. He had significant relationships with them and was very concerned for them when he left.
**I also recommend movies like "Glory Road", "Remember the Titans", or even "Radio". All of them are truth based stories about AA athletes during the civil rights movement. All of them are positive and would be appropriate for kids about eight and older. All of them make me cry.
**Update 2/4/2008. Let me add one more movie to the list. I just watched it today. "Antwone Fischer" starring Derek Luke and Denzel--all movies are better with Denzel in them. But this is definitely an adult movie. It is the true story of Antwone Fischer and his survival as a kid in the hood, being abused by foster parents, finding his family, and "beating everyone who beat him". Some very adult discussions (ie children being molested, drug abuse, murder, etc.) although nothing gratuitous. It will make you cry. If you can get the DVD there are some great interviews with the real Antwone. What a great story of redemption and survival.
I know this isn't something all of do with such focus. However, it's nice to have the resources and to share this with others.
1 comment:
"Twelve Year a Slave" sounds like a fascinating read, I'll have to read it soon! Thanks for all these resources!
angela
Post a Comment